WHAT SKILLS ARE NEEDED IN THE TOURISM SECTOR?
TOP SKILLS EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR
- soft skills (languages, customer service, cultural awareness, service quality, communication)
- problem solving
- small business management
TOP TOURISM TRENDS
What skills will be in demand?
- digital (data analysis & management, web management, social media)
- multicultural (foreign languages, history, knowledge of religious & dietary habits, cultural etiquette)
- green / environmental (sustainability & conservation, natural/cultural resources management, ecosystem management)
- diversity (ageing population, millennials, special needs persons, alternative families, LGBT)
The skills mismatch
- The projected growth in the supply of skills isn’t expected to keep up with the growth in demand.
- The skills of people entering tourism often don’t match employer requirements.
Source: Mapping and performance check of the supply side of tourism education and training, European Commission, 2016